Sometimes my desire to experiment with new things threatens to make the business too amorphous, too messy, and too time consuming and I have to rein myself in and decide what Snapdragon is actually meant to be about.
I have been wittering on to friends for a year or so about wanting to try dying antique linen with plant material and to be honest I did nothing about it as I suspected that it would fit into the category of things that don't fit properly into business life. I based these suspicions on the amount of plant material I would need to grow, just to provide the dye, and the fact that I don't even have enough planting space for my flowers.
Then I got a copy of Rita Buchanan's book A Dyers Garden and found that you can dye with dahlia flowers and you need flowers that are just passed their prime (and therefore unsaleable) and that you can freeze the flowers until you have enough for a dye bath.
Well that seems core business enough for me! Roll on the summer and dahlia dyed linen.