Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Best Christmas present ever


These leather lined wellingtons were last year's Christmas present from Euan and they are one of those things that I would rescue from a burning building.
I believe they were phenomenally expensive but as I have worn them practically every day (I didn't take them on holiday) I think that they would pass the "cost per wear" test beloved of women's magazines.
Warm dry feet are just SO important - when it is horizontal rain outside and the grass has managed to become both long and muddy - chickens still need to be fed, ducks locked up - these wellies and a bobble hat and I'm cosy as toast.
Being lined they are also cool in summer - I'm not a gardening in birkenstocks girl, extracting the pebbles from my toes takes too long.
They also give me back a shred of credibility - I usually garden in a velvet frock and cardi - now I would argue that this is fantastically practical - the dresses wash and comes out of the machine almost dry - the cardi has pockets, doesn't restrict movement like a jumper and I can put a waterproof over it if necessary. Unfortunately everyone over the age of 6 seems to think that this is weird gardening garb - however my extremely serious wellies save the day and farmers don't openly snigger.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes...

Those are great. Le Chamaeu.

They are expensive but they are the best. (I have a pair but I "cheaped out" at the last minute and got the kind with neoprene lining and not leather.

I saved 75 dollars and have regretted ever since.

Now I want to get a pair like you have, but it makes no sense to have two. So I thought I'd wait until my first pair wore out... except these DON'T WEAR OUT.

You are 100% corrcet. These are perfect for the garden.

Hank

Jane said...

Edward, a 15 year old friend who helps me here sometimes with moving compost etc. has just saved up his wages from pheasant beating on the local estate and bought a pair of Le Chameau wellies - excellent taste has Edward - it gives me great faith in teenagers.
J

Laura said...

I am now living with Edward AND his Le Chamaeu wellies, never has a pair of wellies been so loved, well not since he was 3 and slept with them on.

Jane said...

He's worth it!
Love
J

Primrose Hill said...

Ooh, I really want a pair now, I wonder if I could justify keeping my new Hunter wellies as spares for visitors, hmmm...............?

L x

El said...

Those are quite fabulous boots. I covet them. And there's a holiday around the corner...

I think gardening garb is very peculiar, and happily it's peculiar per gardener!! I've got my own getup that, well, let's just say I look like I am going to do battle (and I am, in spirit, anyway).

My own footwear? Though I do have a pair of unlined, cheapo boots as tall as yours, I have some Blundstones that are fabulously filthy and broken-in and oh so comfy. I think they give me pretty good street cred, too. (Or is it dirt cred?)

Anonymous said...

I've a pair of Aigle insulated ones - worth every pound I spent on them.