Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Potting on



The most important thing I have learned this year is just what a difference potting on and planting out at the right time makes.
In June I had 60 artichoke seedlings in 9cm pots - I managed to get half of them planted out the day before we went on holiday, the rest waited until two days after we got back i.e. 16 days later. The photo on the right is of one of the ones planted out in the early batch - it is thriving - about 2 feet wide and has 3 healthy artichokes on it - on the left is a later planted example - about 6inches wide with no fruit. If I manage to keep them alive over the winter they will both be fine next year, but it is a good lesson. I tend to sow far too many plants and then struggle to keep on top of planting them all out at the right time. Next year will be different . . . .

No comments: