Friday, July 14, 2006

Bad hair day?


One of the new bulbs that I grew this year is an allium called "hair" - it is described in the catalogue as "unique" and as soon as it began to flower I was worried - wispy green shoots emerged from a bulbous deformed head, it looked like a mutant in the flower bed, as though someone had sprayed it with some genetically altering substance.
This week I decided I couldn't just leave it there and decided to cut it. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong - as a cut flower it looks fantastic, out of the garden it stops looking ill and starts looking "textural", it makes the drumstick alliums in the same vase look insipid. I have been putting it into most of the tied bunches I have done today and it also looks great on its own.
It is interesting how many of the flowers that look best cut (e.g. parrot tulips) look daft in the garden.

No comments: