Friday, April 20, 2007

Best Day Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We opened for the season this morning at 10.30. We had customers arriving from 9.30, calling in on their way back from vegetable shopping at France Farm. From then until 4 it just didn't stop. I am overwhelmed with people's support. One lovely woman travelled all the way from Broxburn having seen us at the CL Fair.

I was worried as the hot weather (see never satisfied) brought on some of the tulips and all of the fritillaries too fast so the garden looks beautiful but they are too far out to sell. Also deer got in while I was at the Country Living Fair (who did leave that gate open?) and ate over 800 tulip bulbs in one fantastic feast.

From Wednesday I have been prowling the garden. Would there be any flowers to pick? Would there be any customers? Would anyone want what I have.

But Sally and I found that when we looked, there were rather a lot of flowers out there. We filled the buckets with them and then was a rush of making up and wrapping all day. We have NO FLOWERS left and the stall is a mess of snipped stems and stripped leaves.

I am exhausted but very, very happy. Tonight we drink gin!

The photo is of Carneval de Nice - a double tulip, masses of raspberry ripple leaves forming a ball of a flower. It looks great in pots but is very bad at reblooming the next year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This must feel like the justification of all your hard work advertising, going to shows, maintaining high quality products, building up your customer loyalty. I only hope that you have some flowers left for next week!
Enjoy the gin fest.
Alice
p.s. I have a red and white camellia outside my back door which is very similar to that tulip. It has had an amazing flowering this year and because it is late has not been caught by the frost.

Ragged Roses said...

Hope you're enjoying the gin! Glad to hear your good news - fancy selling all the flowers in one day. Hope you have a good and relaxing weekend.
Kim x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! Well done. You are an inspriation. I only wish I could've popped by myself, but I'm down south :o( Just shows you that people's appetite for plants and flowers is insatiable. I have recently discovered your Blog and read it avidly. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

Tracy x said...

Congratulations on the first of many best days!!
It makes all the hard work worthwhile - enjoy the rest and the Gin x
Tracy x

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had a great day! That gin must have tasted like nectar after all your hard work. You certainly deserve to take it easy this weekend.
Marie x